The chicken needs to marinate overnight, so start this recipe a day in advance. The end result will be chicken that is tender and flavorful. You won’t be disappointed!
4 skinless chicken thighs
4 skinless chicken drumsticks
500 ml buttermilk
4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
15 ml hot sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
15 ml salt
10 ml freshly ground black pepper
2.5 ml teaspoon paprika
200 g Cream Crackers or Salticrax
- Combine the buttermilk, garlic, hot sauce, if used, salt, pepper and paprika in a large bowl and stir until evenly combined.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and transfer it to a 20 x 30 cm ovenproof dish.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours, turning once.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Fit a wire rack inside a roasting pan and set it aside.
- Place the crumbs in a shallow dish and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Remove a piece of chicken from the buttermilk marinade, letting the excess drip off, and place it in the crumbs, turning to coat completely and pressing the crumbs onto the chicken to adhere.
- Set the chicken aside on a cutting board and repeat with the remaining pieces of chicken.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to the rack in the roasting pan and bake until golden and crispy – about 35 minutes.
Substitute the chicken pieces for skinless & boneless chicken breasts and cut them into strips before adding them to the marinade. The cooking time will be about 20 minutes.