This ring cake has a velvety texture and incredibly interesting and pleasing flavour – one of the best variations of a chocolate cake and a good way to use bananas that have become a bit too ripe to enjoy as is. The cake is good when just made but the flavour improves if it is kept sealed and refrigerated for a day or two. This cake is certainly fair to bake – it uses 8 Fairtrade certified ingredients!
Serves: 10 to 12
100 g butter or margarine, slightly softened
2 medium-large ripe All Good bananas (Fair Trade certified)
2 large eggs
60 ml buttermilk or plain yoghurt
250 ml all-purpose flour
30 ml Organic Desiccated Coconut (Fair Trade certified)
175 ml Organic Cane Sugar (Fair Trade certified)
2.5 ml bicarbonate of soda
60 ml Organic Baking Cocoa (Fair Trade certified)
1 ml Organic Cinnamon Powder (Fair Trade certified)
5 ml vanilla essence or vanilla paste (Fair Trade certified)
± 80 g Whittaker’s 72% Dark Ghana Chocolate (Fair Trade certified)
60 ml Caffe L’Affare Organic coffee (Fair Trade certified)
5 ml vanilla essence or paste (Fair Trade certified)
Organic desiccated coconut, lightly toasted (Fair Trade certified)
Organic dried banana chips (Fair Trade certified)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and grease a fluted ring tin (± 24 cm diameter) well with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process 1 minute. Scrape the sides once and process 2 minutes more or until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Spoon the mixture in the tin, smooth the top. Bake for about 25 minutes or until firm to the touch and a metal skewer comes out clean if inserted.
- Cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes, loosen carefully and turn out. Allow to cool completely.
- Place the chocolate squares, coffee and vanilla into a small bowl and microwave on medium low for 2 minutes or until softened if tested with the tip of a teaspoon.
- Stir to combine and pour ans spread the chocolate glaze over the cake.
- Decorate with banana chips and toasted coconut as preferred. Serve or refrigerate in an airtight container.
The Fair Trade ingredients can be substituted with similar ingredients.