Biscuit Cream Tarts, also known as Number or Alphabet Cakes, are still all the rage! These popular tarts were created by the Israeli pastry chef Adi Klinghofer and consists of layers of cookie, pastry or cake with a creamy filling between the layers and topped with anything from fresh flowers, to fruit, macarons, meringues, candy, etc.
The tarts are great for birthdays, engagement parties, hen’s parties, weddings, baby showers, etc. The tarts can even have an Easter or Christmas theme! Here are a few reasons why these tarts are so popular:
- they are not too time consuming to make. You can prepare the base layers and filling in advance and assemble close to serving time or the day before.
- you can decide how many layers you would like your tart to have
- you can decide how and with what you would like to decorate your tart, i.e. fresh flowers, shop-bought or home-made macarons, chocolates, candy, cookies, meringues, fudge, marshmallows, etc. You can really get those creative juices flowing with these cream tarts!
- they are relatively easy and inexpensive to make.
The tart pictured here is about 15 cm in diameter and is made out of layers of Honey Cookie Dough with a Creme Patisserie filling. I decorated it with candy which I had at hand, e.g. Smarties, candy coated nuts, mini Sweety Pies, and Cosmos!
If you would like to learn how to make these impressive tarts, you have the option to either book a demonstration for yourself and a group of friends or colleagues, or as a culinary lesson. During the demonstration your group will learn how to make a variety of bases and fillings, as well as how to assemble and garnish the tarts. If you book for a private culinary lesson you can decide which bases and fillings you would like to focus on. To book a demonstration, please click on the link below. To book a private lesson, please click here.
Biscuit Cream Tart Demonstration:
Date: You choose
Duration: 3 hours, e.g. 10:00 to 13:00
Venue: At a private house or venue or at Cooking Up A Storm Culinary Experiences, Robindale, Randburg
Cost: R450 per person (T’s & C’s apply)
- 4 different tart bases (one will be gluten free)
- 4 different fillings, e.g. pastry cream (creme patisserie), chocolate ganach, buttercream icing and Italian Meringue Buttercream Icing
- tips on how to plate and garnish the tarts
- a comprehensive take-home recipe booklet
- a generous tasting of the tarts demonstrated
- Coffee & tea
Book your seat here: