The golden brown butternut will contrast well with the roast or grilled meat and fresh vegetables on a plate. Delicious!
2 medium butternut squash
50 g coarsely chopped walnuts or pecan nuts
100 g butter, melted
50 ml honey or maple flavoured syrup
1 ml salt
2.5 ml ground cinnamon
- Peel and seed the butternut and slice into neat even slices.
- Place into a saucepan with a small quantity of water and simmer 15 minutes or until just cooked but not yet soft.
- Arrange the slices decoratively into a serving dish and sprinkle with nuts.
- Pour the melted butter, mixed with honey or syrup, salt and cinnamon over the butternut.
- Bake at 180º C for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Baste with the syrup once or twice while baking and if preferred place under the grill for a few minutes to caramelize the top.
- Serve hot.
Substitute the honey for golden syrup or maple syrup.
8 t0 10 servings.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster – Art Of Cooking recipe book p. 371.