This is an easy-to-assemble chicken dish which tastes terrific and is well complemented by the texture of couscous.
30 ml sunflower or canola oil
1 kg chicken portions
1 large onion, finely chopped
5 ml crushed garlic
5 ml ground turmeric
5 ml chicken stock powder
250 ml water
1 x 400 g tin chickpeas, drained
30 ml lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
1 ml cayenne pepper
2.5 ml salt
freshly ground black pepper
a little cake flour
250 g/300 ml couscous
350 ml boiling water
5 ml salt
10 ml olive oil
50 g/50 ml butter
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan that can also be used in the oven.
- Add the chicken, onion, garlic and turmeric and sauté over moderate heat, stirring from time to time, until golden all over and slightly browned.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, cover and cook at 180ºC for 1.5 to 2 hours or until the meat is quite tender.
- Adjust the seasoning and if necessary, to thicken the pan juices, add a little cake flour mixed with water and boil for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a suitable serving dish and keep warm until read to serve.
- Serve with couscous and vegetables.
- To make the couscous, place the couscous in a bowl and add the boiling water and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes until the water has been absorbed.
- Add the oil and fluff the grains with a fork while mixing to get rid of any lumps.
- Add the butter and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute so that the butter can melt.
- Stir to mix and serve.
The chickpeas can be replaced with any canned beans, e.g. cannellini, borlotti, etc.