A most delicious and savoury mince to use as a filling for vetkoek or pancakes or a topping for pasta.
500 g lean beef mince
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
50 ml cake flour
7.5 ml beef stock powder *
300 ml water
30 ml tomato sauce
15 ml chutney
5 ml Worcestershire sauce
2.5 ml mixed dried herbs
2.5 ml barbecue spice or steak and chop seasoning
salt and ground black pepper
15 ml chopped parsley
- Place the meat, onion and garlic into a saucepan and stir-fry over moderate heat until the meat is loose and crumbly and lightly browned.
- Add the flour and stock powder and stir-fry 2 – 3 minutes more.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, chutney, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and barbecue spice and bring to boil, stirring until evenly combined.
- Reduce the heat and simmer partly covered or covered with a special perforated lid for about 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the meat is tender.
- Adjust seasoning and serve as a filling for “vetkoek”, jaffles or pancakes.
8 to 10 servings
* The flour and beef stock powder can be substituted with 50 ml Instant Brown Gray Powder Mix.
Brown Gravy Powder Mix
The gravy powder mix is a successful shortcut to produce a shiny and thick brown gravy with a lovely flavour. It may be used on it’s own or to moisten and enrich stews or meat dishes. To adjust the consistency, use more or less sauce powder than recommended below.
1 x 500 g self-raising flour
2 x 250 g brown gravy powder (Bisto)
1 x 40 g packet cream of mushroom soup powder
1 x 40 g packet cream of tomato soup powder
1 x 40 g packet brown onion soup powder
1 x 40 g packet white onion soup powder
- Place the ingredients in a large bowl and mix very well until all is evenly combined.
- Spoon into screw top jars and store airtight for several months if necessary.
- To make a flavourful brown gravy in an instant, blend 30 ml gravy powder mix with 250 ml water.
- Add to a saucepan, bring to boil, stirring and simmering 3 minutes.
- Alternatively, mix the gravy powder mix and water in a jug suitable to microwave and cook on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Beat well and microwave on MEDIUM until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble. Beat well.