A light, refreshing soup with a hint of spice. The carrots can be substituted with butternut or orange sweet potato for an interesting twist.
15 ml olive oil
2 medium leeks or 250 ml onion, finely sliced
1 kg carrots, peeled and sliced
2 potatoes (230 g in total), peeled and diced
5 ml ground coriander
2.5 ml ground cumin
600 ml orange juice
1 liter vegetable or chicken stock
extra-virgin olive oil or
cream or creme fraiche or
60 ml coriander, finely chopped or snipped chives
chilli flakes (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the leeks. Cook on a low heat for 5 minutes or until the leeks are cooked.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat, cover the saucepan with a lid, and simmer for 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then process to a puree with a stick blender in the saucepan.
- Adjust the consistency of the soup to your liking by adding more stock. Add milk, cream, coconut milk or coconut cream for a creamier soup.
- Transfer the soup to a serving dish and keep warm until ready to serve or serve in heated soup bowls garnished with the fresh herbs, oil, cream, etc.
Photo credit: https://realfood.tesco.com