A creamy cheese soup, subtly flavoured with the typical Mexican ingredients such as tomato and sweet peppers.
50 g butter or margarine
100 ml chopped spring onion
1 large clove garlic, crushed
50 ml finely chopped green pepper
1 medium red tomato, peeled and finely chopped
100 ml cake flour
good pinch ground cumin
good pinch white pepper
750 ml milk
375 ml water
5 ml chicken stock powder
80g/200 ml grated Cheddar cheese
few drops Tabasco sauce
salt and black pepper
To serve and garnish
chopped spring onion
paprika and / or cayenne pepper
- Place the butter or margarine, spring onion, garlic, green pepper and tomato into a large saucepan and saute gently for 8 – 10 minutes while stirring from time to time until all is tender.
- Stir in the flour, cumin and pepper.
- Add the milk, water and chicken stock powder.
- Bring to boil while stirring with a whisk until a smooth sauce is obtained.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir over moderate heat until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with Tabasco sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Reheat gently while stirring just before serving. Garnish as preferred
4 to 6 servings
- To make Mexican cheese and prawn soup, add 200g cooked peeled prawns, coarsely chopped, together with the cheese.