One of the lightest and most refreshing mousses imaginable! For a plain cucumber mousse to serve as an elegant salad or as part of a salad platter, omit the fish.
20 ml gelatine powder
125 ml water
10 beef or chicken stock powder
250 ml hot water
1 large English Cucumber
5 ml salt
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 x 220 g can pink salmon, skin and bones removed
250 ml cream, stiffly beaten
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
decoratively sliced cucumber
curly lettuce, watercress or parsley
freshly ground black pepper
- Place the gelatine in a suitable container (500 ml capacity), cover with 125 ml water and microwave on MEDIUM for 30 secondsto 1 minute until melted. Or place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and melt over the steam.
- Mix the chicken stock powder and hot water and stir into the melted gelatine.
- Cool and refrigerate until the mixture just starts to set around the edge of the bowl.
- Meanwhile, grate the unpeeled cucumber coarsely and drain in a colander for 15 minutes. Place in a mixing bowl and stir in the slightly jelled chicken stock. Add the salt, onion and salmon and mix well.
- Add the cream and egg-white and fold together gently but thoroughly until evenly blended.
- Pour the mixture into a mould with a 1 liter capacity or 8 to 10 small individual moulds.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until completely set.
- When ready to serve, loosen the sides and turn out the mould(s) onto a suitable serving platter or individual plates.
- Garnish decoratively with any of the items listed above and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.