Even novice bread bakers can manage this delicious, quick-to-make recipe. Served with piping hot soup it will make the perfect comfort food.
750 ml/420 g brown bread or wholewheat flour
750 ml/420 g cake flour
1 – 2 x 10g sachets instant yeast (depending on time available for rising)
7,5 ml salt
50 ml sesame seeds (optional)
50 ml poppy seeds (optional)
500 ml lukewarm water
30 ml oil
poppy, sesame and sunflower seeds to sprinkle
- Grease 1 medium (28 x 12,5 x 8 cm) or 2 small (23 x 10 x 8 cm) bread tins well non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook and add the water and oil.
- Mix with a spoon or the dough hook until a heavy batter is obtained.
- Adjust the consistency if necessary, adding a little extra water or flour.
- Mix 1 – 2 minutes only until slightly sticky.
- Set the bowl aside and let it rise uncovered until well risen and well rounded on top. About 20 minutes if two sachets of yeast are used or 40 minutes if one sachet is used.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C when the bread is almost risen.
- Transfer the dough one large bread tin or 2 smaller bread tins and sprinkle the top of loaf with one or a mixture of the seeds.
- Bake the bread for about 45 minutes or until the crust has browned and the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the top crust. A metal skewer should come out clean if the bread is cooked through.
- Set the bread aside on a cooling rack to cool completely before it is served with butter, honey, jam, etc.
Servings: 1 large or 2 smaller breads.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster from the Art Of Cooking recipe Book p. 817.