Using the shells of dragon fruit as “bowls” gives a great pop of colour to this interesting salsa. Best of all, no dishes to wash later!
1 large dragon fruit
1 large avocado
10 to 15 ml fresh lime or lemon juice
15 ml chives, snipped
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
15 ml coriander/cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
crackers, tortilla chips, etc.
- Cut the dragon fruit in half lengthwise, i.e. from the stem to the base.
- Carefully scoop out the flesh and set the shells aside for presentation.
- Cube the dragon fruit flesh and transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Cut the avo in half from the stem side to the base and remove the stone.
- Peel and cube the avo and transfer it to the bowl with the dragon fruit.
- Add the lime or lemon juice and the chives and mix well.
- Add a pinch of salt and a grinding of pepper and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Remove the coriander leaves from the stalks and discard the stalks.
- Spoon the salsa into the dragon fruit shells, garnish with the coriander leaves and serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
Recipe adapted from the original recipe by The Vegetarian Ginger.
Photo credit: https://thevegetarianginger.com