A soup of American origin which has gained immense popularity in homes and casual or formal dining out venues.
1 x 410 g tin cream style sweet corn
1 x 410 g tin whole kernel corn
100 g rindless bacon rashers
125 ml chopped onion
125 ml chopped celery
50 ml finely chopped green pepper
250 ml finely diced raw potato
500 ml water
1 ml paprika
good pinch cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
50 ml cake flour
125 ml milk
375 ml milk or cream or 1/2 of each
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Saute the bacon rashers in a large saucepan until crisp and cooked and remove. Cool, crumble and reserve.
- Add the onion, celery and green pepper to the saucepan with the bacon drippings and saute gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato, water, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper and bay leaf and bring to boil.
- Simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender to taste.
- Add the corn to the saucepan when the potatoes are tender.
- Combine the cake flour and 125 ml milk, stir into the soup and bring to boil while stirring.
- Stir in the remaining milk and/or cream, adjust seasoning and heat to boiling point.
- Serve piping hot, sprinkled with black pepper and parsley.
6 to 8 servings
- For a vegetarian soup, omit the bacon and add a little more seasoning such as vegetable stock powder or a few drops Tabasco sauce if the soup lacks flavour.
- For a more colourful soup, use half finely diced red and half finely diced green pepper.