This recipe is not as difficult to make as it looks, and once you’ve tasted it, you will make it often! It provides a great way to use up leftovers. Also try the recipe for Pear & Chocolate Puff Pastry Parcel for a sweet version of this recipe.
30 g butter
1 large leek, thinly sliced (about 250 ml)
10 ml crushed garlic
250 g button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
lemon zest, finely chopped (optional)
250 ml mixed frozen vegetables, e.g. carrots, mealies and peas (rinsed under boiling water)
250 g Crème Fraiche
finely chopped rind of 1 medium lemon
750 g leftover cooked chicken, skin and bones removed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
400 g puff pastry (plain or herbed), defrosted overnight
1 large egg, beaten with a little water
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Set it aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks cook for 10 minutes while stirring.
- Add the vegetables and garlic and stir-fry until cooked.
- Stir in the lemon rind, Crème Fraiche, chicken and seasoning.
- Remove from the stove and set it aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
- When ready to assemble, pre-heat the oven to 200 º C.
- Roll out the pastry on a large sheet of baking paper, to a large rectangle, about 30 cm x 40 cm.
- Use a butter knife or spatula and mark a line down the length of the pastry to get a middle line.
- Mark a line to the left and the right of the middle line as well.
- Cut the pastry sides diagonally in strips, cutting up to the lines at 2 cm intervals.
- Cut away the triangles that will form in the four corners of the rectangle and set it aside. You might need it later to do patchwork!
- Spoon the filling onto the middle section of the pastry, leaving at least a 2 cm margin on each short side of the pastry.
- Fold the end pieces on the short sides of the pastry over the filling.
- Carefully lift the top strip of the pastry vfrom the right hand side and gently pull it across over the filling.
- Do the same with the top pastry strip on the left hand side.
- Cross the pastry strips over the filling alternating from each side so that the filling is covered with pastry.
- Use the leftover pastry and create a rope of sorts and place down the middle of the pastry parcel.
- Use a pastry brush and brush the pastry all over with the egg.
- Slide a baking tray under the baking paper and bake the parcel for 25 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp.
- Slide the parcel onto a work surface and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer the parcel to a serving platter with the help of 2 egg lifters.
- Serve with a mixed salad.
- Substitute the leek with 1 large finely chopped onion.
- Substitute the frozen vegetables with leftover vegetables, e.g. steamed carrots.
- Substitute the creme fraiche with white sauce.
- Use leftover Chicken a la King, bobotie, etc. as a filling.