Young and old will find this bake delightful as a dessert – served hot or cold. It can also serve as an all-in-one breakfast dish with cereal, eggs and milk included.
250 ml crushed breakfast cereal such as Corn Flakes or any favourite
500 ml milk
45 ml sugar
3 large eggs
5 ml vanilla essence
icing sugar to dust (optional)
honey to drizzle (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC. Have ready a 1 liter ovenproof dish and sprinkle the cereal onto the base of the dish or use 4 individual (± 200 ml) ovenproof dishes and divide the cereal between the four dishes.
- Beat together the milk, sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla essence and pour it over the clusters.
- Place the dish or dishes into an ovenproof dish of a suitable size and pour warm water into it to come halfway up the sides of the dish or dishes.
- Bake the custards for about 20 minutes for the small or 30 minutes for the big dish until set.
- Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar and drizzled with honey, if preferred, or allow to cool and serve cold or chilled.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster.