This recipe is on the healthier side but still very tasty! Be sure to also try these Wheat-free Almond Biscuits.
125 ml flaked almonds, toasted
200 ml cake flour
5 ml bicarb of soda
5 ml salt
200 ml whole wheat Pronutro
200 ml oats
200 ml white sugar
125 ml canola oil
2 extra large eggs
5 ml almond essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line two baking trays (230 x 320 mm) with Wizbake baking sheets.
- Transfer the almonds to a frying pan and toast it until light brown – watch it carefully as it can burn very quickly.
- Transfer the almonds to a plate and set it aside.
- Combine the cake flour, bicarb, salt, Pronutro and oats
- Add the toasted almonds to the bowl and mix well. Set the bowl aside.
- Combine the sugar, oil, eggs and almond essence in a separate mixing bowl and beat it with an electric hand mixer until the mixture turns pale yellow.
- Transfer the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Use two tablespoons and drop small spoonfuls of the batter onto the baking sheets, about 5 cm apart, to allow for spreading during baking.
- Place the baking trays in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking trays from the oven with oven mittens and set it aside to cool for 5 minutes to allow the biscuits to harden slightly.
- Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack to cool completely before storing it in an airtight container.
Makes about 30 biscuits.
Adapted from a recipe by Gabi Steenkamp.