Carolié de Koster’s Art Of Cooking recipe book consists of more than a 1000 recipes and is the most comprehensive cookery book in South Africa. Written by a renowned food consultant it offers everything for everyone’s needs – from the beginner and home cook to the career chef, caterer and trainer. It compares favourably with the foremost international sources in this category. The ongoing popularity and sales of the book and also comments from users over the years have proven that it has brought great joy to many cooks and eaters alike! Many say it is their most used recipe book ever and irreplaceable. It seems that no one who has used this informative cookery guide will ever want to manage without it.
The recipes will never date and are still in line with modern cooking trends, focus on attractive presentation and comply with the principles of good health. The book contains extensive sections on all cooking methods and also microwave cooking and general and specialised baking, including, yeast baking and phyllo pastry. Favourite recipes from South Africa and all over the world will be found in this book.
Be sure to read the post The Birth Of The Art Of Cooking Recipe Book for the story behind the birth of this popular book. Please scroll down for a letter from Carolié with news of the goings-on in New Zealand since she and her husband Adri there in September 2011.
The Art Of Cooking recipe book is not available from leading book stores, but can be ordered from Cooking Up A Storm’s online shop.
This book has become a KITCHEN BIBLE in kitchens in South Africa but also all over the world. It is used at home, in coffee shops, lodges, guest houses, function venues, retirement home kitchens and school hostels. Colleges added it to their “student kits” for training and this is still the case. Mothers are now buying it for their daughters and sons before they leave home to be able to take along favourite family recipes into their new households! Lastly, the book is still sought after by many and has made it’s way into many countries of the world – North and South America, Australia, Belgium, France, Holland, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Russia and China!
Carolié de Koster’s Art Of Cooking. This section is dedicated to Carolié’s sought after Art Of Cooking recipe book. The ongoing popularity and sales of the book and also comments from users over the years (see Art Of Cooking Reviews) have proven that it has brought great joy to many cooks and eaters alike! Many say it is their most used recipe book ever and irreplaceable. It seems that no one who has used this informative cookery guide will ever want to manage without it! The Art Of Cooking recipe book is not available from leading book stores, but can be ordered from Cooking Up A Storm’s online shop.
Carolié has put together a variety of menu’s to assist with the planning of meals for both everyday meals or special occasions from the vast selection recipes that form part of the Art Of Cooking Recipe book. E.g. a French menu, an Italian menu, etc.
The book contains extensive sections on the themes below. Click here for a photo album with photo’s of many of the recipes from Art Of Cooking.
- Snacks and starters (p. 20 to 68)
- Dips & pates
- Finger Food
- Mousses, moulds and terrines
- Warm salads
- First course salads
- In betweeners
- Stocks & Soup (p. 69 to 110)
- Stock-based soups
- Vegetable soups
- Egg dishes (p. 114 to 149)
- Fish and shellfish (p. 154 to 185)
- Meat & meat dishes (p. 191 to 328)
- Lamb and mutton
- Beef and veal
- Venison and Game
- Savoury sauces, toppings and fillings (p. 330 to 357)
- Savoury sauces
- Classic light sauces
- Brown sauce variations
- Other sauces
- Vegetables & vegetarian dishes (p. 360 to 395)
- Potatoes, pasta, rice and cereals (p. 400 to 456)
- Salads, salad dressings, sauces, pickles and relishes (p. 460 to 493)
- Desserts (p. 499 to 560)
- Hot desserts and baked puddings
- Cold desserts and frozen confections
- Dessert sauces and
- Meringue variations
- Cakes (p. 495 to 561)
- Pies and pastries (p. 526 to 661)
- Savoury pies and pastries
- Sweet tarts and pies
- Quick bakes (p. 666 to 713)
- Crumpets and flapjacks
- Quick breads and sweet loaves
- Rusks, biscuits and sweet treats (p. 718 to 759)
- Sweet treats
- Phyllo pastry (p. 764 to 800)
- Yeast baking (p. 801 to 864)
- Wholewheat, brown and health breads
- White bread variations
- Sweet dough variations
- Microwave cooking (p. 866 to 907)
Clear symbols indicate if each recipe is:
– economical or more luxurious
– intended for everyday use or for special occasions
– quick and easy or advanced and time consuming
– high or low in kiljoules and
– suitable for vegetarians.
More about the author
Carolié de Koster is a dietician, food consultant, cookery teacher and author of 10 cookery books of which Art of Cooking is the prima donna. She operates under the name Carolié’s Culinaire (previously Foodlink) which incorporates all activities linked to food. Her objective has always been to assist those involved with food preparation to increase skills and efficiency, build confidence and acquire knowledge. The ultimate aim is to deliver trendy, tasty, wholesome and attractive food with the available funds and supplies and within the time limits, thus ensuring profitability.
Carolié and her husband Adri moved to New Zealand in September 2011 to re-unite with their children and grand children. Some of their children also reside in Australia. She is again on the same track: recipe development, cookery courses, events management and catering. Carolié operates a small cookery school and guest house from her home in New Zealand. Carolié says everyone is welcome at Comore Cottage in Omokoroa, Tauranga!
Below is a letter from Carolié with an update of their first 6 years in New Zealand.
Recipe books written by Carolié include:
- Rising to Perfection / Bak met Vernuf (Tafelberg 1885)
- Art of Cooking / Koskuns – 1001 page cookery manual (Van Schaiks 1999)
- Home Bakes / Tuisgebak (S & S Publishers 2002)
- Snack-style food / Vatkos (Lapa 2004)
- Keurkos (Lapa 2005)
- Kies Gesond (Lapa 2007)
- Lekker Kuierkos (Lapa 2009)
- Healthy Options (English Version of Kies Gesond)
The Art Of Cooking recipe book is not available from leading book stores, but can be ordered from Cooking Up A Storm’s on-line shop.